Monday, November 18, 2013

Gratitude Turns What We Have Into Enough

I often find myself saying, "If only I had (fill in the blank), life would be so much better."   But we all know that pining after what we don't have never made anyone happy.  Even wishing for worthwhile things such as more patience, friends, or love disturbs our efforts to be happy.  Yes patience, friends and love will bring us great joy, but when we are hoping for anything we do not have, it becomes too easy to forget what we do have.   That's where gratitude comes in.  Gratitude turns what we have into enough.

When I get discouraged and feel like I was dealt an unfair hand in life, I think about individuals what have suffered so much more that I.  Lately I have been thinking about Elizabeth Smart.  I can't imagine going through even a fraction of what she endured.  But after nine months of physical, sexual, and emotional abuse, Elizabeth remains grateful for the things she has and realized that things could have been worse for her.  I am in awe of her courage and perspective on life.  She doesn't show signs of a victim but a person who is truly happy.

download your free 8x10 printable here

download this 8x10 printable here

1 comment: